当前位置

: 英语巴士网英语阅读英语故事英语阅读内容详情

双语小说连载:《董贝父子》第六章 Part 9

1

'Now then! 'said this man, happening to turn round. 'We haven't got anything for you, little girl. Be off!'
    “喂!”这个人碰巧在这时转过身来,说道,“我们没什么给你的,小女孩,走开吧!”
    'If you please, is this the City?' asked the trembling daughter of the Dombeys.
    “请问这是城里吗?”董贝的女儿哆嗦着,问道。
    'Ah! It's the City. You know that well enough, I daresay. Be off! We haven't got anything for you.'
    “不错!这是城里。我看你知道得很清楚嘛。走开吧!我们没有什么给你的。”
    'I don't want anything, thank you,' was the timid answer. 'Except to know the way to Dombey and Son's.'
    “谢谢您,我不想要什么,”她胆怯地回答道,“我只是想打听一下到董贝父子公司的路怎么走法。”
    The man who had been strolling carelessly towards her, seemed surprised by this reply, and looking attentively in her face, rejoined:
    这位漫不经心、朝她信步走来的男子似乎对这个回答感到惊奇;他很注意地看着她的脸孔,问道:
    'Why, what can you want with Dombey and Son's?'
    “唔,打听董贝父子公司,能从它那里得到什么呢?”
    'To know the way there, if you please.'
    “麻烦您,我想要知道到那里 去的路怎么走法。”
    The man looked at her yet more curiously, and rubbed the back of his head so hard in his wonderment that he knocked his own hat off.
    那人更加好奇地看着她;由于感到奇怪,他就十分使劲地擦着后脑,因此把帽子都擦得掉下来了。
    'Joe!' he called to another man - a labourer- as he picked it up and put it on again.
    “乔!”他把帽子拾起来,重新戴上,一边向另一位男子喊道,那人是一位工人。
    'Joe it is!' said Joe.
    “乔在这里!”乔说道。
    'Where's that young spark of Dombey's who's been watching the shipment of them goods?'
    “董贝公司的那位愉快的年轻人在哪里?他一直在这里监督装运货物的。”
    'Just gone, by t'other gate,' said Joe.
    “他刚刚从那个门走了,”乔说道。
    'Call him back a minute.'
    “把他喊回来一会儿。”
    Joe ran up an archway, bawling as he went, and very soon returned with a blithe-looking boy.
    乔大叫大嚷地向一个拱道跑去,很快就领回一位神色活泼快乐的男孩子。
    'You're Dombey's jockey, ain't you?' said the first man.
    “您是董贝手下的人,是不是?”第一位男子问道。
    'I'm in Dombey's House, Mr Clark,' returned the boy.
    “我在董贝公司里工作,克拉克先生,”男孩子回答道。
    'Look'ye here, then,' said Mr Clark.
    “那么,请您看看这里,”克拉克先生说道。
    Obedient to the indication of Mr Clark's hand, the boy approached towards Florence, wondering, as well he might, what he had to do with her. But she, who had heard what passed, and who, besides the relief of so suddenly considering herself safe at her journey's end, felt reassured beyond all measure by his lively youthful face and manner, ran eagerly up to him, leaving one of the slipshod shoes upon the ground and caught his hand in both of hers.
    男孩子顺着克拉克先生手指的方向朝弗洛伦斯走过去,心中纳闷,他跟她有什么关系(他这样想倒也是很自然的)。但是她已经听到了一切;除了突然觉得自己已经平安抵达旅途终点、感到宽慰外,她还从他那活泼愉快、富有朝气的脸孔与举止中感到无比放心,于是就热情洋溢地向他跑去,把他的手拉到她的两只手里,路上把一只塌根鞋都走掉了。
    'I am lost, if you please!' said Florence.
    “对不起,我迷路了!”弗洛伦斯说道。
    'Lost!' cried the boy.
    “迷路了!”男孩子喊道。
    'Yes, I was lost this morning, a long way from here - and I have had my clothes taken away, since - and I am not dressed in my own now - and my name is Florence Dombey, my little brother's only sister - and, oh dear, dear, take care of me, if you please!' sobbed Florence, giving full vent to the childish feelings she had so long suppressed, and bursting into tears. At the same time her miserable bonnet falling off, her hair came tumbling down about her face: moving to speechless admiration and commiseration, young Walter, nephew of Solomon Gills, Ships' Instrument-maker in general.
    “是的,我是在今天早上在离这里很远的地方迷路的,——后来我的衣服被人取走了——我现在穿的不是我自己的衣服——我的姓名叫弗洛伦斯•董贝,我是我弟弟的唯一的姐姐——哎呀,我的天呀,请您帮帮我吧!”弗洛伦斯哭泣着,把她长久压抑在心中的孩子的感情尽情发泄出来,眼泪汪汪地往下流淌。这时候,她的破烂的帽子掉了,头发蓬松地披散在脸上,引起船舶仪器制造商所罗门•吉尔斯的外甥、年轻的沃尔特默默无言的赞美与同情。

英语故事推荐