当前位置

: 英语巴士网英语阅读英语美文英语阅读内容详情

接线员的小硬币

1

When I was 19
十九岁的时候
I legally immigrated to the USA.
我非法移民到了美国
I left my country on Mother's day 1963.
1963年的母亲节,我离开了故土
Circumstances were such that
我的处境如此糟糕
I for a short time
有一小段时间里
became homeless
我无家可归
but then found a job
后来我找到一份工作
in East Los Angeles.
在旧金山东部
I was able to live in one of their staff houses,
我在他们提供的一间宿舍住下
went 3 hours to school each night.
每天晚上花三个小时的时间走去学校
I had very little money
我几乎没什么钱
but felt abundant .
却感到十分富足
Mother's Day 1964 arrived
1964年的母亲节到来了
and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给远在德国的母亲打个电话
I had a little paper sack of quarters
我只有几个硬币,用纸包成一个小包
for $12.
总共能凑齐12美元
It was a LOT of money for me.
这对我来说已经是很大一笔钱了
I walked up 2 streets
我走过了两个街区
to a phone booth.
才找到一个电话亭
It was a pretty hot day.
那时一个十分炎热的日子
Anyway
无论如何
I dialed the operator:
我接通了接线员
'How may I help you?'
您需要什么服务?
I said
我说
I like to call my Mom in Germany.
我想给在德国的母亲打个电话
She said
她说:
 '$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'
最初三分钟12美元
I fed the phone all the quarters I had.
我把手中所有的硬币都倒进了电话机里
A.s.a. that happened
刚把硬币扔完
I heard the phone ring.
我听到了电话提示音
It was my Mom who picked up.
是母亲拿起了电话
She was extremely excited
她兴奋极了
to hear my voice for the first time in a year.
一年以来,还是第一次听到了我的声音
We talked fast and excitedly.
我们快速说着话,都很兴奋
After a while she said:
过了一会儿她问
'Child this must be very expensive?'
孩子,这很贵吧?
I had forgotten time and space.
我已经忘记了世间和空间
We talked on and on.
我们继续交谈下去
The call ended
通话结束
and all my quarters tumbled out again.
我的硬币却都弹了出来
I was stunned.
我感到惊讶极了
We had talked for 45 minutes
我们谈了45分钟
and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.
这个善良的接线员给了我一份这样好的礼物
Thank you.
谢谢你
It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced
我曾体会过许多种善良,这只是其中一种
in this wonderful country.
在这个神奇的国度
I never asked for anything.
我从不曾奢望什么
But because I worked and studied hard,
但因为我一直勤劳的工作和学习
people seeing it supported my effords.
看到我的努力的人们都来支持我

英语美文推荐